Tuesday, October 27

Scrapbook Expo Sacramento and Melissa Frances

So much for catching up on the summer events but I had to share this. A little over a week or so ago I attended the Sacramento Scrapbook Expo, a yearly convention for both beginner and die hard scrapbookers, or artist as I like to call us. I attend every year and usually make it a "mom" weekend, arriving Thursday evening and leaving Sunday afternoon. This year however with times as such as they are I was not sure I would attend and registered very last minute. I had heard through the grapevine that Melissa Frances had been teaching her own classes throughout the year and being a huge fan of her vintage inspired product lines

I really wanted to try and get into a class. Melissa Frances is known for ecletic, vintage and shabby designs of craft/scrapbook and card making products and also as a breast cancer survivor she has an extremly popular pink ribbon line of products as well. I love the softness of her lines, the colors, the sheer vintage look to them, her style is my style, love...love...love it!

So anyways to make a long story shorter, I registered for a class called Scrapbook your Hobby and was happy to get in being I was registering so late in the process. Now the theme was not why I wanted to go but the project was cute and I did learn a few things. So day of class I show up to find out yes she was not only teaching the class but...there were only 2 of us in the class! How awesome! Not that I mind a full class but I got basically a one on one from someone I admire I guess you would say. She is talented and creative and her business is successful, she is a fighter, a mother and a fellow human being. The three of us sat at a table, Melissa across from us and the teacher aid and we did the project which did not take long at all, it was a double page spread with crepe paper flowers, love the look of those.

So..the class was an hour and a half I believe and the project took 20 min or so, so the remainder of the time we chatted it up like we had all been friends for more than an hour. I learned a lot both about the craft and also personally. Melissa was extremely friendly, down to earth and funny. To be honest I knew really nothing about her, so I had no preconceptions of her, just that I liked her style of designs and products. After getting to know her a bit I would imagine that she and her fiance would be a hoot to be around socially and they seem to make a great pair.

So anyways...that was one of the highlights of my weekend, so Thank you Melissa.

The other highlights were scrapping all day, sleeping in, being alone in my room and really being alone with no mom this and mom that, hanging out with and getting to know Tami even better (a fellow mom from my kids school that I went with) enjoying a girls night out (twice) having a few cocktails and realizing we were a few of the oldest people in the place (that hurt, LOL!) and laughing so hard at night you almost pee yourself and oh leaving for the day and coming back and having my room be clean when I got back!! Now if I could only have that happen at home.

No comments: