Thursday, August 26

Canning....still

My garden is going really well, I have more squash than I know what to do with and my kids are about done with it.  I have been trying to can whatever I can get my hands on the more I can now, the more we will save throughout the year.  In the last few weeks I have made the most "amazing" pickle relish, applesauce, more jams, nectarines and this last week salsa.  Oh how I love homemade salsa.  We have a tiny kitchen, I miss my old kitchen more than anything in that house. We have little ventilation (no hood fan) and no A/C and canning in the house is well...hot!

Several years ago for Christmas I bought my husband an outdoor camp stove, something he had wanted.  However 5 or 6 years later it was still in the box so we came up with the idea of  "finally" opening it up and setting it up outside so I could can out there.  It was a brillant idea and works awesome.  It has 3 burners and fits all my large pots perfectly.  So steam away jars and keep that heat "outside".
My very primative outdoor kitchen.

Lots and lots of Salsa

1 comment:

{april kennedy} said...

Yummm. I want a can of salsa. Are you selling them?!