Wednesday, September 29

Halloween Countdown Calendar

Yesterday a girlfriend of mine Tami,  had a Make and Take at her house for a bunch of us moms after school drop-off.  The project...a felt Halloween countdown calendar.  She adapted the idea from the Pottery Barns Kids Calendar at only at 1/3 of the cost and...we got to hang out, chit chat, and have fun creating.  Each person did there "own thing" so each one looked different and so original!  I choose a pumpkin orange (not bright) felt for the squares which Tami had even pre-cut for everyone.  She had also pre-cut all the black felt, painted all the dowels and...provided each one of us with a goodie bag full of embellishments for the craft. 

She is the BEST!

 I also had brought along some of my own embellies and ribbon etc...We have decided you can take one item and move it from pocket to pocket each day (one gal had a felt pumpkin) or...you could fill each pocket with candy and on each day you kids would get to empty the pocket.  So I have 2 kids I would put 2 pieces of candy in the pocket and they would each get one...each day.

I did sew each pocket on the 3 sides, only 2 of us did that and I have another "kit" to make another one and I am not going to sew that one.  Many of my pockets are crooked, tilted etc...but everyone seemed to like that look so I guess I lucked out.

Few points we learned during the process:

  • The Cricut machine even with a deep cutting blade and thin stiff felt does NOT work well! ( I ended up hand cutting the title and resorted to my scrapbooking supplies for the numbers to include vinyl, plastic and chipboard numbers).

  • Hot glue gun works MUCH better attaching felt to felt than fabric tac and is much cheaper.

  • Do not limit yourself on time to complete.  It was thought it would take about 2 hours and 4 hours later we were finally finishing.

  •  Be creative and have fun with it!!
The finished product!
The kids loved it and cannot wait for me to fill with treats.


 and...full of candy!  Now the trick is to keep the little hands off!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so creative, I love it!

{april kennedy} said...

That did turn out so cute! I thought it looked like a lot of cutting. My wrist ached just thinking about it...but using scapbook supplies for the numbers probably was a lifesaver!

Way cute!

Gretchen said...

Super Super Cute!!!

roseylittlethings said...

soo cute!