Sunday, June 6

Tote Bag Sew Along All Finished!


As you may have read earlier this month I took part in a blog sew along.  Trying to improve my sewing skills which I am doing slowly I thought this to be the perfect chance to do so...without having to buy a pattern and also because there were step by step instructions.  So for all my fellow sew along pals....here are my totes!  (yes, I made more than one).

This I made for a friend who has a birthday..today in fact! Hoping she does not read this post before I give it to her. Notice I added the flower to the rim rather than an bow from the ribbon.

Inside lining

I did take a short cut and rather than hand sewing the top ribbon all the way around, I thread it through the belt loops and then ran a diagonal stitch through the middle of each strap end to secure it.  I did this on all the bags.


This next tote I made for my niece who just turned 13 a couple of weeks ago.  Fun tween prints and a perfect little bag for her sunscreen, Ipod, a book her swimsuit and such.



and finally this last tote I made for myself.  I added an outside pocket as I like to keep my keys handy. I backed it with a heavier fleece interfacing and it is lined, the top is gathered with elastic.  Not to thrilled with the "2" flowers, I should have only used one.  Note to self...when using fabric glue be absolutely sure of placement and whether you want it placed at all cause once you get it on the fabric there is no washing it off!!  Lesson learned...I changed up the pockets inside, and rather than using a ribbon on the top through the loops I made one using the coordinating fabric.  The ric rac on the bottom has been replaced with a wider grosgrain ribbon that was sewed on with the machine on both top and bottom of the ribbon.  My side panels were not matching well so this was the better alternative as the ric rac would not have covered the mismatched seams.



So there you have it.  Thanks so much to I Got The Notion for hosting this sew along.  I learned a lot and had a lot of fun, so thank you!!

6 comments:

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hi Lisa!
Wow girl, your bags are precious! I wish I could sew like that. I sew but only "play sew" ;)
I love the way you find things and repurpose them too. I've had fun perusing your blog and had a very nice visit :)))

Kathy said...

these are beautiful! Love the fabric choices and you did a wonderful jog! My sewing machine died -but, I can use my daughters! ;D
Thanks!
Kathy

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

...And you said you don't know how to sew? Are you kidding? These bags turned out beautifully! I love the fabric choices, especially the one you made for your friend. They're all too cute!
Good job, Lisa!!
Patricia :o)

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Lisa, I love those bags, you should sell them! the one for your niece is HOT. she will love it.
I wish I could not sew as well as you do! lol

Have a great day
Barb

Gretchen said...

Oh girl you are making me long for time to sit back and sew for fun and creativity!!!!

The bags came out adorable :) COngrats!

Michelle F said...

Those are fantastic, what a great job. How do you stabilize the bottom? How fun.