Tuesday, August 19

First Day Of Kindergarten

Where does the time go? Carson started Kindergarten yesterday; my baby boy is no more....
I often wonder what they are thinking (our kids), what did he expect? How much different would it be than he had played in his mind? Would I cry? Would he cry?

Well, neither one of us cried. He was a little anxious on the drive into town, I know he was excited but was he more excited or terrified? I remember starting a new school very vividly despite how many years it has been. Considering I went to 6 elementary schools in total and then onto junior high and high school, I don't think it ever got easier.

Thank goodness there was one little girl in his class that he knew from preschool last year, this made all the difference in the world! For both of them....
Once I pried him off my left leg (not kidding!) and got him to sit on the carpet with the other kids, he teamed up with Sayla, still with that look of horror on his face but at least he had a friend. I left Ella at home with Daddy, this was "his" day, and taking the 3 year old along would have been much too distracting and hectic. Daddy was a bit sad to miss the first day but he completely understood the reasoning behind it.

I was afraid he would not eat his lunch; he goes all day...8:25-2:40 so it’s a long day for him. But to my surprise when I picked him up just a few grapes were left in his box, I worried for nothing. I was afraid he would need to use the bathroom and be afraid to ask; well....we did have to stop on the way home so he could pee on the side of the road, and he did hold it all day...so we had a chat. Hopefully today he makes that step to use the potty.

He said he had a good time, you could tell by his facial expressions when he told me all about his day as I was grilling him that he was very proud of himself, as he should be. Today was much easier, still a little shy; he gave me a hug goodbye at the door and made sure to give his sissy a hug too....

Now I know he just started 24 hours ago, but here is the layout from his first day...crazy huh? During my alone time yesterday I stopped by the scrap store to see if they had any Design Team projects they wanted me to work on and they had this paper and stickers they wanted used for the store wall. It is all Karen Foster papers and stickers. Now I am usually not one to use many stickers but she wanted me to use as many as I could so I did, sanding them, creating tags with them, etc... I also used various ribbons, staples, tags, and BG chipboard letters colored with Colorbox chalk inks.

Photobucket
Edited to add:
Well, he had a good day today too, well at school that is. He did NOT however use the bathroom again and again requested for me to pull over on the way home. I however declined the request (as it was more a screaming, whining, demanding one) and told him we were not going to make this a habit, him not going and him expecting me to pull over so he can be one with nature. Tomorrow is another day and let’s prays his mood is much better after the pickup. Let’s just say the poor little guy is tired and I get that...do I enjoy the screaming and whining for the first 15 miles, NO! (After which he did proceed to fall asleep right before getting home). Do I get he is a little boy adjusting, I do...however, I am also not used to having to be somewhere at a certain time so early in the morning and....it is really really hard to be empathetic after hours of whining and attitude when you yourself are also tired. This is definitely going to be a rough couple of weeks until we get in the groove of things I tell ya!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

good for you for standing your ground on the bathroom issue! They have to learn what to do even if it is the hard way. My dd started this year as well and I was worried about her not being able to get her pants down and not asking for help but so far so good. This from the girl who would hold her 'number 2' all day long in prek and complain of a stomachache every evening! oh she learned to cut that out :)
Oh and love the first day back lo-I may just have to case this one!!
Blessings,
Kim