Tuesday, May 17

Got Pork?


O' my Goodness...we do!  My sister in law Molly recently had 7 pigs butchered and delivered some meat to us yesterday.  I can not even begin to find the words to "Thank" her.  She raised them, had them butchered and packaged and delivered it to us, and all free of charge to us.  Honestly I cannot even put a number to the amount of money she has saved us on our grocery bill with this act of generosity.  Our freezer had not even been plugged in for nearly 2 years (thank goodness it still worked) and now it is half full of pork.  She said we had better get to eating because...she is the doing the same for us with a Steer and a full Steer will never fit in there if we don't clear some of that pork out. Thank goodness he will not be ready to butcher until about August early September so until then it looks like we will be having our share of "the other white meat".  Just to give you an idea of what we got this is the info off the packing list, a few things I have NO IDEA what to do with, maybe you have a recipe you could share.
All number's are "packages" of meat.
9 pork shoulder steaks
17 center pork chops
4 loin pork chops
12 pork steaks
2 spareribs
2 neck bones (what on earth would you do with this?)
13 sausage
6 hams
19 bacon
4 pork shoulder hocks (again...not a clue)

If I had to buy all this at my local grocery store...imagine the cost. 
Thank you so much Molly!
XOXO

4 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

The neck bones would be great in a 'Sunday gravy' (pasta sauce). I think the Sopranos recipes calls for pork neck bones.

Gretchen said...

I use the neck bones in soups... and the hocks are Ham Hock and beans material :)

My easiest BEST pork (or any white meat really) recipe:

Crockpot, lightly spray with pam (or whatever!), chop up an onion and throw on the bottom, throw in the shoulder steak (or whatever piece you want to use up) and cover in salsa. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Use your fork to shredd up and wha la! You have the best buritto filing EVER. Grab your black beans, rice and other fav buritto makes and serve it up :)

What a blessed gift! Enjoy :)

Michelle said...

What a wonderful blessing to receive. It's something that just warms your heart. I have a few pork recipes that my family loves, homemade chile verde. I'll copy them and get them in the mail to you. Cheers.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow! that is a lot of pork! i'm visiting from the cottage charm giveaway and since i'm international i thought i'd just drop you a note to say i visited.
thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS