Saturday, May 8

Vintage Hankie Pennant Banner

So, no scrapbooking this weekend but I have been busy.  Yesterday I painted some patio chairs and today...this.  At our old house we could not have any "color" as in plants because we had deer everywhere and they love to eat pretty flowers!  So, at our new to us house I am trying to get some color out there, lots of potted pretty flowers (we have tons of gophers) and pretty floral fabrics.  I am currently in the process of making outdoor cushions and pillows but that will take time.  Today I made these breezy little pennant type banners to hang from our patio umbrella, these are made from vintage hankies (hankerchiefs) I found at a garage sale yesterday for 10 cents a piece.  I cut each one in half on the diagonal and then gathered each one and then sewed them all on bias tape.  My first one did not come out that great, I had to restitch several times as my tension on my sewing machine was not right.  The second one I made went much much better!  I love the color it brings, the way it flows in the wind....

(oops...I see a loose thread, that is definatly the first one I made)

Second project today was recovering the lid on the kids toy box.  The fabric was old and filthy so my friend Jennifer was ever so kind as to pull some upholstery fabric out of her stash and sell to me dirt cheap ($5 a yard), it took me maybe 10 minutes from start to finish and the seat has a fresh new look.  I love the fabric so much I may call her up and see if I can buy some more for some outdoor pillows.


And lastly today I wanted to just share a lovely photo of the roses I picked in my yard this morning....I love roses and roses to a deer is like desert so no deer here means lots and lots of roses!


Have a lovely Mother's Day tomorrow...I myself will be home with the kiddo's piddling around here, husband works, just another day...

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I love the hankie banners :)

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

What a great idea! I have a ton of hankies that will be up for sale, but if they don't, I know I'll be making one of these for my backyard umbrella. Love this idea!!
Patricia :o)

Melinda Cornish said...

I love the banner...about two years ago I went to a garage sale and got ten really pretty hankies for a dollar...SCORE>>>this gives me big ideas.....
I made a banner for out trailer that we are redoing...it came out pretty cute too...